0 babelonium: Back to Work

1/03/2005

Back to Work

Give me an inch and I'll take a mile. I should never take vacation time, because I get too bitter about coming back to work.

So what have you guys been reading? I read the Polysyllabic Spree as well, and I loved it. I wish I could hang out with Nick Hornby. And I want to check out Marah, thanks to his loving fanboy raving.

Speaking of fanboys, I read Chris Turner's Planet Simpson. Turner was pretty much preaching to the choir with me, but he put a lot of things into words that for me had only been feelings or instincts about the show, and he gives some nice background about the writers. If you're a fan, it's a nice read. And you'll laugh. A lot.

I also read My Old Man by Amy Sohn. Someone listed this as one of their favorite books of 2004, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I was entertained, and the book is mildly thought provoking (along those "am I really a grown up yet?" lines we discussed earlier). The problem is that Sohn is young and smart and KNOWS IT. She's snarky and a little too fond of herself, and a little too disdainful of people like, well, me.

I'm about halfway through Human Capital, which is cool in a trainwreck kind of way. I know several awful things are likely to happen, and I can't look away. The characters are wealthy McMansion types, but one is pretty likeable so far, and there are some pretty cool kids...I'm interested to see where things go. If nothing else, the book is making me grateful that I don't make the kind of money these people do. Old money from a trust would be super, but I'd never want to live like these people.

That's about it for my books for now. I have some stuff to pick up at the library, and I have a Jonathan Ames and In Cold Blood to read, as well as The Golden Compass, but classes start tomorrow, so I'm nervous about how much reading time I'll be getting.

1 Comments:

At January 5, 2005 at 9:42 AM, Blogger BabelBabe said...

Oh my. I am currently reading Laurie King's The Beekeeper's Apprentice, which I really like. But now I need to read some Conan Doyle to fill in the Sherlock Holmes backstory.

And I spent a revolting amount of Christmas cash on books - what I bought within the past week (in my defense, Powell's has free shipping for any purchase over fifty bucks, so it seemed silly not to take advantage of that : )):

Fever Pitch - Nick Hornby
Songbook - Nick Hornby
Mystic River - Dennis Lehane
Disordered Minds - Minette Walters
The Bookseller of Kabul - Asne Seierstad
Deep Survival - Lawrence Gonzales
Dead Men Do Tell Tales - William Maples
The American Way of Death Revisited - Jessica Mitford
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down - Anne Fadiman
The Birthday Boys - Beryl Bainbridge
So Many Books, So Little Time - Sara Nelson
Yellow Submarine (picture book for Si for Ukrainian Christmas)
and the January issue of Real Simple

A lot of these books are the direct result of Polysyllabic Spree, so it's all Nick Hornby's fault.

And I did an equal amount of damage at the library:
The Beekeeper's Apprentice - Laurie King
The Thief Lord - Cornelia Funke
The Size of Thoughts - Nicholson Baker
The Great Fire - Shirley Hazzard
Brother and Sister - Joanna Trollope
Caliban's Shore - Stephen Taylor
Race to the Pole - Ranulph Fiennes
Enigma - Robert Harris
Happy Never After/Heart Trouble - Kathy Hogan Trocheck (Mary Kay Andrews' mystery-writer pseudonym)

So now I must hunker down and read, read, read. And really get around to finishing organizing my library.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home