0 babelonium: The Beekeeper's Apprentice

1/07/2005

The Beekeeper's Apprentice

OK, I have never been a big Sherlock Homes fan but now I am. I liked this book about Holmes and his apprentice Mary Russell so much that I went out tonight to buy the second and third books in the series, as well as Laurie King's first novel (different detective). I think I may even be a little bit in love with ole Sherlock now, and intend to go read his stuff. In fact, I was eyeballing the new annotated Sherlock Holmes collection tonight in B&N.

I had picked this particular book up a while ago since it was on Anna Quindlen's list of Ten Mystery Novels I'd Most Like to Find in a Summer Rental (her lists are in her wonderful little book How Reading Changed My Life , and the price of the book was worth even just the lists in the back of the book), and good old Anna has never steered me wrong yet. It's thanks to her I read Gone with the Wind, House of Mirth, Lonesome Dove, Can You Forgive Her?, Paris Trout, My Antonia, and East of Eden within the past 2 years or so. In fact, looking at it now, I see that the adventures of Sherlock Holmes makes the same mystery novel list. Ok, that settles that. The game's afoot!

2 Comments:

At January 7, 2005 at 8:48 AM, Blogger Gina said...

If you can pass on The Beekeeper's Apprentice, I'll play along. I don't know anything about Sherlock other than that he kept bees (and that I just learned recently, thanks to Michael Chabon's new book). And didn't he have a drug problem? Or did I make that up?

And remember the Sherlock Hemlock character from Sesame Street?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to checking this out--especially if it's making you think of Jasper Fford!

And can I have a look at that Anna Quindlen book, too? Because I don't have a long enough list of things I need to read.

 
At January 7, 2005 at 9:43 AM, Blogger BabelBabe said...

Cocaine and/or morphine apparently. no wonder his brain works so well....hmmm.

Yep, happy to lend you the Quindlen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home