0 babelonium: Jessa Crispin rules

1/12/2005

Jessa Crispin rules

A quote from today's Bookslut blog:

"Book #4, the Super Secret Project book is finished and it will appear on another site, sometime in the future. I loved it so much, however, I had serious problems deciding what to read next. Go with the sf-y bits and follow that into a Stanislaw Lem book? Try to find a book that would be equally meaty and try to finally finish The Executioner's Song? Maybe match its whimsical nature with a rereading of Lanark?

"The answer came unexpectedly as I checked the ten day forecast for Chicago. Starting Thursday, I have absolutely no plans to leave the apartment for at least a week. Highs of 14? Are you out of your fucking mind? It's settled. I'm reading Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. [This is the part I love - bb]I only wish I could link specifically to the edition I have, which has the best line from an author bio ever: "Fyodor became acquainted at an early age with misery, misfortune, and death." I also learned that his father was killed by "enraged serfs." It's too bad this edition is out of print. "

Suzanne, for some reason, this strikes me as something you will get a big kick out of. I don't know why.

1 Comments:

At January 13, 2005 at 8:55 AM, Blogger Gina said...

I love Jessa, and I envy all the reading time she has.

I'm a fan of "Crime & Punishment" but I hated the dad in "Karamazov" so much that I had a hard time with the book.

I wish Dostoyevsky's name had been Theodore. It would make Teddy seem all that much more literary. (Or maybe it would just make me seem all that much more snooty, so maybe it's just as well.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home