0 babelonium: the monthly checkup - what are we reading?

1/16/2005

the monthly checkup - what are we reading?

I have been enjoying greatly my forays into Sherlock Holmes territory. I finished the second Laurie King, A Montstrous Regiment of Women, two nights ago and am rationing beginning my third. So I picked up yet another Nick Hornby suggestion, Blockbuster: How Hollywood Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Summer. It starts out with Spielberg and Lucas, Scott and Cameron, and jumps into dissecting the movie business, starting with a look at Jaws (Ba-dum....ba-dum....). The writer seems to be about the same age as we are roughly, and so catching alot of the references to movies of my childhood makes it very fun reading. I'm also learning something about the way the movie studios have morphed in the past 100 years, and it's fascinating.

Sitting on the pile for this week is Philip Roth's Plot Against America; Library: An Unquiet History; and As Nature Made Him: The Boy Who Was Raised as a Girl. (I was distressed to discover that I owe the library 10 bucks in overdue fines, so can't reserve any other titles till I pay that. Humph.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home