0 babelonium: Newbery/Caldecott awards

1/18/2005

Newbery/Caldecott awards

The American Library Association has announced the winners of their children's literature prizes.

Newbery Medal: Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata
Caldecott Medal: Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes
Coretta Scott King Award (Author): Remember: The Journey of School Integration by Toni Morrison
Coretta Scott King Award (Illustrator): Ellington Was Not a Street illustrated by Kadir Nelson

------------
The only one of these I know is Ellington Was Not A Street, which is a beautiful book by the poet Ntozake Shange about her childhood and her family's ties with such noted African-Americans as WEB DuBois, Dizzy Gillespie, and of course, Duke Ellington (these are the only ones I can remember, I know there are more). But I'll be sure to check out the others.

Also Katherine Paterson is speaking at the Carnegie Music Hall on Saturday. She is the author of one of my all-time favorite books (let alone children's books), A Bridge to Terabithia. I can't make it but I wish I could. I'd love to hear her speak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home