0 babelonium: miscellania (is that a word?)

2/04/2005

miscellania (is that a word?)

1. I finished The Winner of the Nat'l blah blah blah. I was underwhelmed. I kept waiting for whatever it was that was supposed to be truly horrible about this one character. Maybe I am just depraved and not easily shocked?
The guy that one of the sisters marries is supposed to be this truly horrible human being, and I just didn't think most of what he did was so bad - he tries to seduce the other sister, bad, but not un-understandable; he's a jerk, but many people are....I just didn't get that he was Satan incarnate which is sort of what you are led to believe. He is supposed to have induced his wife to anorexia, and be all psychologically brutal, but again, common garden-variety psychopath, not the devil incarnate. Is it just me? Am I immune to the Devil? Hmmm....

2. I am blowing off Snowleg - I was fifty pages into it and found it unsympathetic, somewhat unbelievable, and just not compelling. That's twice I've tried, and that's enough. If I don't care about East German political prisoners now, I never will, I'm afraid.

3. So I am starting Mona Simpson's A Regular Guy. We'll see how it is. I am also just starting the third Kate Martinelli mystery With Child. While King is a good writer, the Martinelli books remind me of eating McDonald's food - I read them because I know exactly how they are going to wrap up, and so it's comforting to that reptile part of my brain.

4. I went back to Bryn Mawr Vassar, boys in tow, and bought Walking on Walnuts and (drum roll please) The Faux Gourmet by Juli Huss. I do not understand why the almighty and wonderful Google could not find her, when I was only a letter off (Julia). Pay no attention to the search engine behind the curtain!

5. While searching Salon for book reviews (no luck, although I did find an archive site with all their reviews categorized alphabetically by book author which I seem to have lost, which sucks) I did find this gem: Stewart O'Nan's picks for "tales of creeping madness." I have really liked his books, and I will check these five out, esp. since Plath's is a classic I should have already read, and Laura Kasischke keeps popping up lately, so it may be a sign from the book gods that I am meant to check her out.

1 Comments:

At February 5, 2005 at 10:25 PM, Blogger David said...

No entry found for miscellania.
Did you mean miscellanea?

Suggestions:
miscellanea
Miscellane
miscellany
miscellanies
miscellanies'
miscellany's

For better results, try our search tips.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home