0 babelonium: book slump....here battah battah....

1/27/2005

book slump....here battah battah....

All right, I am in a book slump. Help me.

I started Philip Roth's Plot Against America, which Gina assures me is worth it, but I am still not so riveted. Not that I don't trust you, dear...

I am halfway thru the 3rd Laurie King/Mary Russell mystery, and while it's as charming and compelling as ever, I don't want to OD on Laurie King and totally spoil a good thing, like I did with FiveStar bars. (Although the round of stomach flu that hit me the morning after I ate two peanut butter ones probably has something to do with that too). Also the reason I bought the second Kate Martinelli mystery but haven't started it.

I got Gregory Maguire's Wicked out of the library, but at the same time I bought a used copy of Patrick Suskind's Perfume, which is what I really wanted to start but I have library books that have to go back first, so I feel like they should be read first.

So I am skimming through Ken Kamler's book about extreme doctoring (in extreme places, like Everest and the Amazon, not like doctoring with a shortage of anesthesia or anything) for lack of any more compelling reasons to read something else. I need the equivalent of Neutrogena shampoo for my brain - you know, the shampoo that strips off the residue from all the other shampoo you use?

2 Comments:

At January 28, 2005 at 8:45 AM, Blogger Gina said...

First of all, is it really called Extreme Doctoring? Because I don't know what to say to that.

Second, I like the idea of Neutrogena clarifying shampoo for the brain. (However, be aware that PETA hates Neutrogena.)

I may have mentioned this before, but whenever I get into a book funk, I reread something I love. Anne of Green Gables cleanses the palet. A Wrinkle in Time makes me feel like I'm clean somehow, and full of potential goodness. Jane Eyre makes me feel like my life isn't so bad, and neither are men. I Capture the Castle makes me feel like I have a really smart secret friend. David Sedaris makes me laugh.

Okay, you get the picture.

I just started Andrian Nicole LaBlanc's book about the crazy family in the Bronx . . . WHY can't I remember the title? It's a compelling and awful and sad portrayal of the Americans no one ever wants to show you because they aren't rich and pretty and white (or Cosby-fied).

The thing is, the situations are SO awful and sad that I don't think I want to keep reading. I feel miserable enough--and guilty because WHY should I feel miserable when my life is so much easier than theirs--that the whole thing just makes me feel like crap.

 
At January 28, 2005 at 9:26 AM, Blogger BabelBabe said...

What I wound up doing is finishing all my half-read books (with the exception of the Roth which I will borrow from you at a later date, Gina) so I can start something new. Probably Wicked, since it's a library book. Or I may just devote the weekend to Mimi Smartypants.

Right now I need to drag my sorry ass into the shower and poke, prod, and cajole the kids into getting dressed so we can go spend the morning at the Children's Museum. I feel like hell but calling out just doesn't seem to be an option:

"Hi, Si? Jude? Mama's not feeling well and won't be in today. OK, thanks. See you Monday."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home