0 babelonium: dinner with 12 strangers

11/22/2004

dinner with 12 strangers

I truly can't remember the last time I went out for a social event and was not bored for even a second. I just got back from an event that was like the world's coolest and most interesting cocktail party ever.

It was called Dinner with 12 Strangers and was hosted by the Carnegie Mellon Student-Alumni Relations Council.
The deal is that they invited 4 faculty members (some of whom were also alum), 4 alumni, and 4 current students, in this case all from CFA, to dinner at the UC. The food was good (but anything I don't have to cook myself at this point in my life is good...) and the conversation was better. There was no agenda, no moderator --- we all just introduced ourselves, got some food, and started chatting. Not just about CFA business either -- topics ranged from a dissection of the enigma in Arcadia, how much we appreciate email, kids and grandkids, zero-gravity machines, out-of-body experiences, of course the "Do-you-know so-and-so?" thing, how do people fly in their dreams, food (FiveStar bars of course were mentioned : )), how to meet people in Pittsburgh, the job market, movies, painting restoration, career path changes due to the generation gap...eclectic, intelligent conversation with a group of fascinating, talented people. I didn't get to talk to everyone -- the only flaw was that we only had two hours.

I met (but didn't really have a chance to talk to much) Charlee Brodsky, a professor of photography, whom I have read about in the PG and other places for years. I sat next to Lowry Burgess - he was dean of CFA when I was in school, and is, frankly, just a blast to talk to. I had a lovely conversation with (world-renowned mezzo soprano) Mimi Lerner about our families. It was absolutely, unbelievably fun and exciting. There were music profs there, and a few dramats, a couple architects, artists -- and they were all vibrant and enthusiastic and knowledgeable about their varied, multifaceted interests. Most of these people have done many amazing things, and were happy to discuss them. I admit I felt a little out of my depth at times, having left the creative world pretty far behind, but overall -- wow! What a terrificly invigorating experience.

I have to say that the SARC representatives were great in their own right. The two I spent the most time talking to were a chemistry major (who has done a research project on microgravity with NASA, which was a COOL discussion topic - check this out, SPACE.com Takes a Wild Ride Aboard the Vomit Comet), and an economics major. Really together, impressive young people.

If you ever get an invitation to do anything like this, I heartily recommend you take advantage of it.

2 Comments:

At November 25, 2004 at 2:09 PM, Blogger BabelBabe said...

Well, first we need to see each other : )

Seriously, more parties. I had a sort of similar experience at the Halloween party, not quite as highbrow, but the mix and the varied interests. We just have to throw perfectly and carefully planned dinner parties. Sort of like the Thanksgiving dinner I'll be attending tonight....NOT.

 
At November 29, 2004 at 11:17 AM, Blogger David said...

I was invited to this as a faculty member, but had a conflict. Sounds like I missed something fairly cool. Bummer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home